Thursday, 2 May 2013

Ruby




Ruby is a rescue dog, but I always say that she rescued us, and I know this sounds terribly corny but it really is true.  When we got her it was a really crazy time to be taking on a dog.  We were absolutely broke, going around the supermarket with a calculator counting every single penny of our spending and sticking to punitive budgets.  We really couldn't afford the extra insurance money or cost of food, but in true Krupski style we did it anyway.  Equally, we were all majorly stressed out, my business was in free fall, David was suffering more from his depression, Elliot was having a terrible time at school and Issy was working very hard, knowing that her days at her lovely private school may be numbered.

Ruby did come cheap though, normally at Battersea you have to pay £100 for a rescue but she was in such a terrible state that she was a giveaway.  She was covered in skin rash, had terrible kennel cough, was psychologically scarred from being on the streets, and in all probability from being beaten (she cowered when we went to stroke her at first), was skin and bone (all her ribs on show) and limping from a horrible case of luxating patella which caused one of her legs to dislocate over and over.  They told us at Battersea that we would have to cope with a lot of aftercare and many trips backwards and forwards from the rescue centre until she was better.  So why the hell did we take her on, especially when we had never had a dog before?  Well it was simple really - when they introduced her to us the first thing she did was go over and sit on David's feet, and that was it.



Yes we have done a lot for a badly treated rescue dog but Ruby has helped me through terrible times of stress and anxiety.  Going for a walk every morning, whatever the weather, with an animal that will love you whatever you feel like, however angry you are, however dark you feel is incredibly healing and I am truly grateful to her for that.  I love the way she cuddles up to David when he's feeling annoyed and helps melt his heart and calms him down, I love the way she plays madly with Elliot, chasing him around the house and licking him to death on the floor, and the way she keeps Issy company when she's studying at home.  She just seems to know what we all need at any given moment.

I know I will never get a puppy and will always go to a rescue centre to get a dog.  Once you have experienced seeing kennel after kennel of sad or upset dogs (particularly staffies) it is hard to understand why you would want to encourage further breeding.  Don't get me wrong, many of my dog walking friends have raised their lovely dogs from puppies and I don't think they have done anything wrong but I just think there are so many dogs who need homes (many of which are destroyed each year) that I couldn't personally justify raising a puppy.  And if I'm honest I couldn't go through the whole, dog training, chewing, feeding every four hours thing - way too much like having a baby again.

So in the spirit of this blog which is about celebrating the free, meaningful and simple you can't do much better than a rescue dog.  If you do I hope you find one as beautiful, loving and kind as our lovely Ruby.


8 comments:

  1. This journey is a beautiful read, thank you for sharing. I hope Ruby sees you all go through lovely times too. Hope all's going well. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emma, hope you will subscribe - I'm hoping to write at least one entry per week. I'm very grateful to say that life is pretty good at the moment - keep in touch, L x

      Delete
  2. Such a heartwarming post! Ruby is the sweetest dog and, especially knowing the condition she was in before she joined you guys, it's so so so lovely to see how happy and loved she is as part your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well we all know how much she loves you

      Delete
  3. Louise, Thanks for sharing this wonderful story! It seems as if Ruby is as lucky to have your family as you are to have her. Pets really do bring so much love and joy into our lives and I know I will always have them.

    I commend you for rescuing a dog with some challenging issues, but it sounds like Ruby rescued you right back!

    You're a great writer and I love your blog,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie for your encouragement - need it right now as trying to modify the way the blog works and finding it challenging to say the least!

      Delete
  4. Such a sweet story, glad you rescued each other!

    Dogs make me so happy. I absolutely agree that they will love you no matter what, how you're feeling, etc. My partner's mum has a young border collie that is absolutely crazy, and can't keep still. Noone likes him because of his craziness but I have a soft spot for him. I think he matches me in character a bit. I've never owned a dog myself, but will definitely consider a rescue dog when I do get one.

    Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Linda, thank you for your kind words. Border collie's need huge amounts of exercise and lots of games to stretch their minds as they are highly intelligent. They are happiest up a mountain herding sheep and working with a close companion - this is incredibly difficult to achieve in a town setting. One dog walker I know who has a border collie walks him for over 3 hours every day and she says he could walk a lot more. He will love you forever if you take him out, just don't get lost up a mountain!

    ReplyDelete